Saturday, July 17, 2010

Our First Vacation!

Matt and I took our first vacation together! Not counting the honeymoon, of course! :) We left last Wednesday and drove to Arlington for a Rangers game. We went to the hotel first to check in, then met Jason, Summer and the boys at the hospital in Fort Worth to visit our friend Karen after her hip surgery. It was good to see everyone there and to get to visit Karen for a little while. We left there and stopped by the store and get some drinks for the game and to get me some new sunglasses because I had left mine at the hospital. So we bought drinks and some sunglasses, then realized we didn't JUST leave my sunglasses.... but our whole backpack. Which had our Rangers tickets. :/ I wasn't very happy. So we turned around, went back and got the backpack, then went to the Rangers game. Luckily, our initial plan was to get there pretty early, so even with having to turn around, we got to the game in plenty of time.

Here we are after checking in at the hotel...


We got to the game and had really awesome seats thanks to my mom. :) THANKS MOM! She was able to get us tickets from the bank, so they were 9 rows up from home plate! Matt's brother, Josh, and his wife, Carly, met us there. Carly's parents live in Arlington so they were able to drop their baby, Jonathan, off at her parents house and come join us for the game!


Neftali Feliz pitching...


Josh and Carly after the game...


Matt and me after the game....


We got back to the hotel late that night after the game. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and Suites, so its a nice hotel! We got in and started getting ready for bed. Matt went over to close the curtains and we realized that the dark curtains didn't close. There was a cream colored, sheer curtain that closed, so nobody could see in, but the problem was that there was a huge street light shining directly into our room... and it was really bright. We thought that we had to be missing something.... that we just couldn't figure it out or something. I picked up the phone to call the front desk to ask about it, but our phone didn't work. SO, I got dressed again and walked downstairs to ask about it. I really wasn't going down to complain or be rude, but I really thought we had to just be missing something. I get down there and I ask the guy behind the desk about it. He says, "Uhh.... well..... I don't know. I mean, I can give you a blanket or something to hang up if you'll come back in about five minutes." I asked if he could just have the blanket sent up to our room and he looked at me, kind of irritated, and said, "Uh... you can either come back in about five minutes or just wait here for a few minutes." I went back upstairs and told Matt about my conversation with the guy. We had a dark blanket in our room, so I went ahead and pulled the desk chair over to the window and stood on it to see if I could just hang that blanket up. Unfortunately, there wasn't any kind of curtain rod or anything. It was all attached right up next to the ceiling. So that wasn't going to work. After five minutes, I went back downstairs and politely explained to the guy that I tried to hang the blanket but that there wasn't room for it. About this time, the manager walks about and kind of rudely says, "What is the problem?" I told him and, I'm not joking, in the most dramatic way, he threw his elbows onto the desk in front of him and swung his head around into his hands shaking it from side to side and let out a huge sigh. Boy, was I putting him out!! Then he turns to me and says, "Is it really THAT bright in your room?" Even after that, I kept my cool. The only thing he said that showed any sign of trying to be helpful was that they didn't have any other available rooms to move us to. I asked if the curtains were that way in every room and he said, "Well.... probably not... I mean, we don't usually have this problem." So, (here is where it gets good) they go to the back and bring me back a "blanket" (AKA: a mattress cover) and a handful of thumb tacks, and suggest that I pin the blanket to the ceiling. Not kidding. I just kind of gave a blank stare then headed back up to the room to show Matt. Although I didn't think it was very funny at the time, we ended up getting a good laugh out of it. So, here is our mattress pad thumb tacked to the ceiling so that we could get some sleep that night...


I recently got my hair cut, and even though I really like it, it looks SUPER crazy when I first wake up or if I don't pull it back in the front. I woke up that next morning and Matt said, "Do you want to go to the Cowboys Stadium?" I said "OK" and he turned around and said, "I mean, you've already got your football helmet on...." Ha. Ha.... ha. He made me look at it and I realized it WAS pretty bad.... :)


We grabbed a quick breakfast at the hotel then hit the road for Little Rock, Arkansas!

No comments: